|Telecommunication Regulatory Authority|
Port Vila, Vanuatu
The Office of the Telecommunications and Radiocommunications Regulator (TRR) was established by an Act of Parliament called the Telecommunications and Radiocommunications Regulation Act 2009 (“the Act”). The Act mandates TRR to regulate the telecommunications and radiocommunications sector.
With a Vision to establish “A communications environment that enriches the social, cultural, customs and commercial fabric of Vanuatu;” the Regulator leads, guides, directs and manages the Office of TRR in order to achieve the objectives of the Act and implement relevant Government Policy as required. Section 7 (5), provides for the Regulator to have a separate and independent legal personality and under the name ‘Telecommunications and Radiocommunications Regulator ‘TRR’, may conduct business independently.
While the telecommunications sector in Vanuatu is vibrant and sophisticated for a country of its size, the Office of TRR is still a relatively new institution and the new Regulator must continue to build on the strong professional relationships TRR now has with its stakeholders; including GOV, the Minister responsible, the Office of the Government’s Chief Information Officer (OGCIO), relevant Government institutions, industry, and the business community, especially service providers and operators and, ultimately, the consumers. Further, the Regulator needs to capitalize and build on the recognition TRR has amongst its peers as being the benchmark and leading regulator in the region.
Expressions of Interest (EOIs) are now invited from qualified individuals with experience and skills to fulfill the role of Regulator, and in administering TRR in performing its powers and functions under the Act. The candidate must have relevant and extensive wide ranging demonstrable experience to carry out the work as stipulated in the following sections. Ni-Vanuatu citizens are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.
Duties & Responsibilities
In summary, the Regulator:
1. Ensures the functions and powers of the TRR under the Act are appropriately met;
2. Oversees the management of the Government’s Universal Access Policy;
3. Oversees the telecommunications and radiocommunications licensing regime;
4. Regulates tariffs and pricing mechanisms set by the service providers;
5. Oversees compliance of the industry with the Act and relevant regulatory instruments; and
6. Protects and raises the awareness of telecommunications consumers.
The Regulator must ensure that a level playing field among competitors exists and continues to exist, and that TRR regulates the sector in compliance with the Act, Licences and other regulatory framework and policies that are in place.
Experience and Qualifications
The following experience and qualifications, or an acceptable combination of the following or its equivalent are required:
· A relevant tertiary qualification from a recognized institution – desired - or equivalent relevant operational qualification combined with experience;
· At least 5 years of relevant work experience in a regulatory environment, ideally in telecommunications;
· Must be fully trustworthy, independent of any outside influence, of exemplary character and display exemplary conduct, and have no record of inappropriate or fraudulent behaviour;
· Proven experience in the development of a regulatory instruments that encourage consumer protection, provide consumer awareness and support mechanisms, as well as facilitate telecommunications investment and competition;
· Demonstrated high-level management and analytical skills in decision making and delivery;
· Sound understanding and experience in the technical aspects of telecommunications and radiocommunications, and in regulation of that sector;
· Ensuring full confidentiality can be maintained and the integrity of TRR is preserved.
· Demonstrable, excellent representation, verbal, written and presentation, communication, and reporting skills;
· Demonstrated experience and ability to work in a high-level, fast paced and ever changing environment, whilst ensuring that all objectives and desired outcomes are achieved – on time and with high quality;
· Possess the skill-sets, experience and confidence to provide sound and appropriate advice and guidance to high level Government officials, including matters that may progress to policy and regulation development.
Consideration may be given to experienced senior level Managers/Executives that have skill-sets in an equivalent sector and have demonstrated ability to transfer knowledge and skills to the telecoms sector and to administer the Act and related laws and regulations governing the sector.
Other desirable skill-sets necessary to fulfill the role of the Regulator include:
(1) Detailed knowledge of the role of Regulator and the responsibilities of the post;
(2) Familiarity with the regional and international environment of telecoms Regulators and regulation;
(3) Knowledge and appreciation of cultural and geographical dynamics of Vanuatu, and the Pacific region;
(4) Sound and demonstrable knowledge of the telecoms market, telecoms operators and service suppliers in Vanuatu;
(5) Understanding the role and needs of consumers and users of telecoms services and products.
The Regulator must have demonstrable skills and knowledge to be able to create, regulate, manage and facilitate a regulatory framework that will protect consumers while encouraging investment in the telecommunications sector, and ensuring sustainable completion is maintained.
|How To Apply:|
Email, Post - Interested persons may obtain the Terms of Reference (TOR) at the following address below during office hours 08.am-05.pm, Monday to Friday, Vanuatu Time. EOIs must address the relevant sections of the TOR, include a covering letter, a capability statement addressing the Scope of Work and detailing their suitability for the role, a detailed CV, and at least 3 referee contacts. Submissions must be delivered to and reach the address below by Close of Business at 4.30pm Friday, 26th June 2015. Late applications will not be considered.
|Jeanette Yiu Hing|
T: +678 27621 | F: +678 27440
EOI – Regulator Telecommunications & Radiocommunications Regulator Attn: Procurement Coordinator PO Box 3547, 1st Fl. Oceanwalk Building, Lini Highway, Port Vila, Vanuatu
28-May-15 Direct Employer
|For further information on the above Vanuatu job please see the source or contact the employer directly.|